Saturday, December 16, 2006

Spain and Thereafter

Alright Alright,
I know you all have been losing sleep wondering what I have been up to in the past few days. Well, worry not! This is the email to stop all your worries.
So pretty much Jack and I got out of Spain and didn't really know where else to go, that we hadn't been already.
"Hm." I said.
"Hm indeed." Jack replied.
And then we sat like that for quite some time. We hadn't been to Greece! But Greece was very far away and there was not a moment to spare. We only had a week left for our Eurail passes! My how the months fly by when catching rye in the European sky.
"Switzerland!" Said Jack.
"Switzerland?" Said I.
I pondered this for several seconds.
"We can't go through Switzerland." I said mater-of-factly, and added a head nod right afterward just for emphasis.
"What?"
"We can't go through Switzerland," I said again, "it's neutral."
"What in the world are you talking about," said Jack ,"that was only through wars and only if you had armies and were planning to conquer the world. We can go to Switzerland now. We're on vacation."
"Oh. That's nice."
You see. My entire teenage years I had been playing World War 1 and World War 2 strategy board games like Axis and Allies or Diplomacy. It had been so ingrained in my mind that not only was it impossible to move through Switzerland but indeed, for all practical purposes, South of France ran directly into North of Italy and the same with Germany. It was as if Switzerland simply did not exist. Funny mistake you all might say. But I soon came to the realization that throughout our entire European adventure I had been subconsciously avoiding going into or through Switzerland. If you have been watching Jack and my progression through Europe you will quickly realize the truth of it. Feel free to laugh. :) I know I did.
"Why not?" I said and so we caught a train for Geneva. After going through Paris.
Geneva was really nice. Actually all of Switzerland was really nice. Really expensive, but really nice all the same. I'm going to start skimming down my photo albums so I have room for all my Rome and on Pictures. We then went to Interlaken. All stand in awe, please, at the imaginary mountains, lakes and green green pastures that are the Swiss Alps. Chocolate mmmm. Cheese mmmmm. Clocks...tik...tok... Swiss girls... What? Lies. There are no attractive women in Switzerland. ;)
Then we caught a train to Munich because Mike and Meg were in Munich and Munich is just that awesome. Really though. I wasn't going to give out awards until after I got home but this one just cant wait. Best European City Award goes to "Munich". Several reasons.
Centrally located train station across the street from 3 gigantic hostels that are very inexpensive and always had room. And clean too.
Half of a fried chicken for only 2.5 euro in the train station.
The most amazing Christmas markets ever!
The city itself is very clean.
The city is always open for business. No matter what time of the day. Which is awesome for a couple of washed up backpackers.
Awesome Metro.
Any kind of food you could ever want!
Daily international trains to Switzerland, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and a Night train to Naples. Which Mike and Meg caught. And I happened on for the Innsbruck to Rome leg of that same train. and many more.
Its in Germany, which in and of itself is a cool country.
I could go on. I might later.
We hung out all day with Mike and Meg and all night and all day that next day too. Then Mike and Meg caught that night train to Naples. (Napoli). I hear they are having Mafia problems in that part of Italy now. What Mafia? I don't know any Mafia. Columbus Day is better than Christmas! ::Hides in a corner::
Then we headed for Berlin. Stayed the night at the Meininger Hostel where we met Mike and Meg not too long ago! Then, on our way back to Leuven, where I am now, we stayed a night in Amsterdam. Took the walking tour of Amsterdam, and hid out in our hostel. I was too sketched out to go outside the hostel at night. Then we caught a train to Brussels yesterday. The last day of our Super Duper Eurail Pass. On a finishing note for the Eurail pass. I fully endorse it and any other Eurail products for those countries which I visited. I do not, however, recommend that anyone buy or intend to use the Eurailpass in Spain if it is the goal of the traveler to save money or time or both.
Now I'm in Leuven! Soon to head back to the States!
Love,
Tad
Today I would like to thank someone who has been crucial to making this trip possible. Someone who was quite literally with me the whole way and watched out for me and made sure I didn't do anything too crazy. Thanks Jack! Buddy! Guy!

No comments: