Monday, December 11, 2006

Why I left Spain

As you all could see from the subject of this email, I left Spain and am about to explain why I did so.
It should have been alright considering I speak enough spanish to get around and buy my groceries. But, sigh, it was no ones but my own fault that Spain did not turn out to be the laid back mecca I had planned. The land of Manana was far too laidback. It was all stopsigns after Semilla Besada. When we got into Sevilla, the train station was many miles out of the main city and the bus system was little less than utterly confusing. Once we did find the hostel we had planned on staying at, after about two hours of bus travel, it was all booked up due to a national holiday. Then friday was going to be one as well. After paying for a fairly expensive hostel Jack and I decided we needed to leave the country. That day we decided to give it one more chance and check out the ultimate goal of our Spain expedition, Cadiz. Cadiz was booked as well, and all the luxurious camping places we had planned to stay were all closed for the winter. Blast! We must leave the country. There is no other way. The rooms are too expensive and we are caught in 5 days of holiday! It would have been equivilant to coming into albuquerque on the wednesday of balloon fiesta. And planning to stay the whole weekend. And instead of Albquerque, it was the entire country of Spain. Aye. No room No room. So we went to Madrid! Got in at night time. We had planned to catch an overnight to Paris. That was booked. And as we found out the next day, had it not been booked would have cost us about two days worth of budget money. So we had to find a hostel! A place to sleep! Somewhere to lay down and rest our weary souls. First two hostels, mega hostels well over 200 beds a piece were both completely booked and had been for months. So, desperately at the last hostel I asked if the reception man knew of anywhere we could just crash, if only to catch the first train out of Madrid and in the direction of the border. This was thursday night. The partying and booked hostels wouldnt have ended until well into Monday morning. Aye! He, thankfully, said we could sleep in the bar from 3 (when it closed) until 7 (when the hostel opened again). So we did exactly that. Tired from trains all day we slept on booths of the bar in Mad Hostel. For free! We got up and headed for the Madrid station. The first train to Hendaya left at 10 o clock and got in at four. By 10 o clock that night we were on a train from Hendaya to Paris. The night train besides its inhereint sleep so to be said was not filled with what it should have been. Got into Paris and straigh to Geneva. Swityerland was wonderful. I am now in Munich again! Much better the second time around! It is because I was not such a fan of Spain that I am now in Germany again. I am headed home from here. Good food and fun times await me in Belgium and then back to the blessed States. I cant wait to see you all agian.
Love,
Tad

I thank God for all I have been given and standing in line to see the show tonight another light on. By the way I tried to say I be there, Waiting for the Marquis.
Chili Peppers

No comments: