Thursday, November 16, 2006

Adventures in the U.K. Part 3: Route 45

Sep 25, 2006 3:18 PM

Hello all!
And if you have recently been added to my mailing list, I'm sorry for inflicting my heroic stories on you. And I'll try to catch you up, and maybe fill in some missing cracks.
Last week was sooo much fun! I stayed my first night in London and saw all there was to see there. Which is lots of people and even more of my money. What's your money doing in London Tad? recirculating.
Then I headed off the Salisbury. Salisbury has three things. 1: a very pretty town and lots of very nice people. 2: One of the only cathedrals built in a single architectural style (classic Gothic), because it was built so quickly, with a several little old tour guides; one of which has big bushy eyebrows and spiders that like to get tangled in them. and 3: Stonehenge.
I walked to Stonehenge, a 16 mile trek all together, but very worth while. It was amazing hiking to Stonehenge because you really get a feeling for what it was like to approach the site over the rolling English hills. If you can, imagine I'm saying all of this in an English accent. That's better. I set off towards Stonehenge with only the slightest idea of where I was headed. All I knew was there existed a small arrow at the top of my map that said, "To Stonehenge" so, I followed my instincts and kept my head about me. After I had been hiking for about a half hour I saw a sign that had a symbol of a bike and the number '45' under it. I remembered that one of the maps I had seen back at my camp ground, had a trail labeled 45 and had been going in the general direction of Stonehenge. So, I went with it. Four hours later I saw those giant pillars of rock jutting out of the ground in front of me. What an adventure!
For food I buy rolls, meats and cheeses at the grocery stores and build my own sandwiches whenever I'm hungry. One morning I wanted some eggs but had no way to cook them. Sooooo I shook them up in my nalgene and drank them. bleh. Next time I ever suggest it, remind me what a stupid idea it is. England is gorgeous! For the most part I've been staying at Camping and Carravanning sights, which are very nice.

Sunday I headed off to Oxford, which is where I currently reside. Oxford is a nice tourist ridden town with like ninety billion universities. Apparently over here it's called a vacation to come and watch people learning. It's funny because most of the museums here are free while you have to pay to get in to see the Universities. I'm still trying to get in contact with a Professor and his wife that are friends of friends but they have yet to email me back. Oh well.

I've arranged to go parkouring with some UK chaps on Wednesday in Cambridge and I can't wait!

That's all for now
Tad

No comments: