Thursday, November 16, 2006

Austria part 1: Tik Tok

Nov 12, 2006 10:43 PM

I don't know the next time I'll be in Austria. It's amazing here. I've never been anywhere quite like it. The buildings are ridiculously with form and function. The people here are more friendly than any others I've encountered. The water, it's pure as one could ever want. The people. The songs. The city sings. I'm in Vienna now. Jack left for Florence a few hours ago, and I just got back from the concert of a lifetime.
The concert itself was amazing. Nothing like NIN or Tool or any of that. No. This was much different. It's a deeper classical feeling. Operatic contradictions like white widows and tropical polar bears all rolled into one. There were my good friends Mozart and Strauss. And my favorite delicacies of first violinists and cellos. No no. This was nothing like I've ever seen or heard. The music itself was able to play with the mind, raising spirits and emotions with it and around it. I was hardly dressed for the occasion but I never expected to end up in a room that Mozart had once performed in, along with his sister. Words fail me.
Munich was a cool city I guess. A lot of punk kids and too much hip for me. Too much cool.
Jack and I caught a train for Vienna day before yesterday and arrived later in the afternoon. My hostel rocks by the way. It's way chill and the coolest kids are staying there. Really, the two coolest kids in the whole world are staying there. I was typing away on the computer when all of a sudden Jack comes around the corner and says, "tad I have to tell you something."
"What Jack?" I ask him.
And out of nowhere, Mike and Meg are standing there grinning like their feet don't stink. It was, to say the least, the most joyous reunion and pleasant surprising I'd had in the longest time and two thanksgivings ago. Those crazy kids didn't even know that we would be meeting up a few days later when we left them in Berlin. We talked for hours and decided today we would cruise the Wien, Austria together. I never thought I would be so happy to see someone I had only met and left not four days earlier. I'd better go meet them in the hostel though, they stayed here tonight and we're going to go to the catacombs tomorrow. And then, Who knows!?
Tad

Today I would like to thank Casey my sister for giving me the pride of being her brother. She's doing terrifically in school now, in case I hadn't mentioned it, and her volleyball team is rocking socks off all over the place. I miss you sister!

1 comment:

Sarah F. said...

As a whole I like your blog but I still think the emails were more fun, but if you like this more...I could get used to it. ;)