Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ireland, It's mine Part 2: There can only be one Highlander!

Oct 11, 2006 5:49 PM

Oct. 5 I spent all day cooking delicious food from a bunch of very friendly Italian guys. They're all looking for work and when they're not looking for work they're making delicious food. It's the funnest time I've had yet. Jack and I went exploring on the coast and it was wet and rainy and very very awesome. Very beautiful. The vast expanse of grey water and it's impending grandeur. I loved it all.
That night was spent dreaming and reading. That was Thursday. What a day!
What even a more awesome day was Friday.
Friday Jack and I woke up and headed off to the Aran Island of Inish Mor. I think that's how you spell it. Jack and I both agreed that Inish Mor was the Ireland we had come to see. Miles of walls built from rocks that had been pulled by hand from the ground. From the tallest point on the Island it looked like a green checkerboard sprinkled with rice. Rice being the sheep that Inish Mor is famous for. Aran Sweaters! Irish Wool! We hiked all day and joked about Dane Cook's take on that lady who got hit in the head by a tire at a car race. From the lookout point up on the highest point Jack and I descended to the raging sea beating constantly on the most amazing cliffs I've ever seen. What a scene it was! I felt like I was in a movie. Which has become quite a normality here in Ireland. We then saw the oldest Celtic fort ever! But not really. It was built around 2000 B.C. I am Tad's inability to comprehend expanses of time greater than about 18 years. What a truly wonderful place. Since Jack and I were working cleaning the hostel in the morning in order to pay for our lodging, we figured to stay another day.
Saturday, what a crazy crazy day.
A group of Germans came to the island to stay in our hostel. And then another group of Germans came to the island to stay in our hostel. I liked the second group better. The first was odd, and not too talkative. We all stayed up late speaking of philosophy and politics and music, and everything that makes life the way it is. It was so nice to talk with them and learn about Germany and how they see things.
Sunday, the Travel Day.
Sunday we worked in the morning and missed the 12 o'clock ferry so we had to stick around until the 5 o'clock ferry. We came back into Galway around seven and made dinner and crashed.
Monday we took a Bus to Killarney, which is where I currently reside. The hostel here is called Neptune's and has a great mural of the god of the ocean himself painted on it's side. Jack and I have been here three days already and boy has it flown by! When we first came in, there was no looking about, we simply went to bed.
Tuesday, Castles abounded!
The national park here in Killarney is very different from the national parks of the states, but it is nice none-the-less. Paved roads everywhere, and fences everywhere as well divide it from the national forest and parks from home. Jack and I slept in and set off towards Ross Castle on the coolest lake ever! It was really gorgeous and I'm currently in the process of putting together a slide show or something so you guys can see all the pictures I've been taking of myself. And a few of the scenery.
Today, today is Wednesday.
This morning we rented bikes and set out for the most beautiful view in Ireland. Well, the bike shop guy said it was the most beautiful view in Ireland, and I'm semi-inclined to agree with him, except that there was no ocean. Then Jack and I biked to Mount Torc. More of a hill really, but half way up we were confronted by an impenetrable fortress of plants. I think Jack called them, and I know I'm going to butcher this, "Rhododendron"? something like that. Just got back in to town and thought I'd let you all know what I've been up to for the past few days.
Miss you all dearly,
Tad
Today I would like to thank my two beautiful and wonderful sisters. They have been the best sisters a guy could ask for and their often upbeat attitudes have brightened my darkest days. I love you both.

No comments: